LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A 10-year-old boy who caught on fire in a freak accident is recovering thanks in part to the quick thinking of his older brother.
The incident happened Wednesday evening at an apartment complex in Louisville. Metro Arson Squad Maj. Henry Ott told WAVE-TV a gas can tipped over in a basement and the fumes ignited. Ott says while trying to fight the basement blaze, people began throwing things out -- including a blazing gas can.
The can hit 10-year-old Solomon Osby. His 13-year-old brother, Charles, said his younger brother's head, shirt and back caught on fire. He said he took off his shirt and began beating the flames.
Firefighters said the younger boy suffered second- and third-degree burns, but he should recover thanks in part his brother's actions.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.