LEXINGTON, Ky. - Suspended jockey Robby Albarado lost his initial bid Wednesday to resume his riding career after his arrest on an assault charge.
A committee of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission turned down the veteran rider's request to have his suspension lifted after hearing from Albarado's attorney, who said it would be unfair to keep him sidelined until his July trial in Louisville.
Albarado was suspended in Kentucky following his May 4 arrest when he was charged with fourth-degree assault.
Albarado was supposed to ride that day in the $1 million Kentucky Oaks, a race for 3-year-old fillies the day before the Kentucky Derby. Instead, he was scratched from eight races at Churchill Downs that day and another eight races on the Kentucky Derby Saturday. Albarado did not have a ride in the Derby.
He's accused of accosting a woman who said she was trying to break up with him. Since then, the jockey who's third on the all-time wins list at Churchill Downs has been unable to ride not only in Kentucky but in other states that are honoring the decision.
The racing commission's license review committee continued Albarado's case until the criminal matter is resolved.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.