WINCHESTER, Ky. - Fire officials in Winchester believe extremely hot weather caused bagged mulch to spontaneously combust, heavily damaging a home.
WKYT-TV in Lexington quoted Winchester Battalion Chief Ernest Barnes, who said four bags of mulch were piled together where the fire began on Thursday afternoon.
Barnes said mulch decomposes and the plastic bags trap moisture, raising the temperature and allowing the shredded wood to break into flame. Barnes suggested bringing home no more mulch than a homeowner plans to quickly spread.
The Winchester Sun reported two people were inside the house when the fire began and both were able to get out safely.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.