CALIFORNIA, Ky. - Firefighters say they expect to see an increase in fires as the temperature gets colder.
Part of this increase in home fires is linked to problems with chimneys.
An improperly installed chimney flue is being blamed for an early Wednesday morning fire that caused damage to a California, Ky. home.
"Luckily for the people there, the neighbors saw the fire, the entire chimney was enflamed, and it hadn't gotten into the house yet, but eventually it would have, our firefighters had to literally wake them up and save them," Joseph Stambush, a public education officer for Campbell County Fire District 1 said.
Stambush has been fighting fires for 54 years. He says regular chimney maintenance, like making sure the chimney is free of debris, can help avoid damage and even death.
"Carbon monoxide can build up in these guys really, really easy," Stambush said.
Stambush says the type of wood being burned is also important. He says you should burn dry wood, not freshly cut wood.
Stambush says fresh wood, that is still green, can create a build up of creosote, which is highly flammable.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Northern Kentucky's Top Stories
On Friday, a Northern Kentucky community will mourn the loss of a veteran who was killed in Afghanistan last week.